Natural disaster is something that we cannot have control over that but all we can do is try to mitigate it by taking some right steps forward.
As we all know that technology has always proven helpful to mitigate many dangerous natural disasters by building solutions for disaster preparedness.
Having the same concern in mind, the David Clark Cause (DCC) in the partnership with multinational technology company IBM started a global initiative this year (2018) Call For Code, which is calling the developers globally to build sustainable software solutions to solve the most pressing global problems.
In short, all the developers globally are invited to create the application programs that improve disaster preparedness, build resilient communities, and safeguard the health and well-being of individuals and institutions.
Build Software Solutions for These Six Disaster Areas
The Call For Code initiative lets you learn about natural disasters and provide technology solutions to prepare for them.
There’re many kind of natural disasters but the below mentioned six of them are most dangerous:
- Hurricanes & Typhoons. The Call For Code initiative lets you learn what exactly the hurricanes and typhoon is and encouraging developers to create solutions for predicting and tracking these storms, as well as providing the network infrastructure to manage disaster response and humanitarian aid.
- Earthquakes & Tsunamis. Billions of people around the world—including nearly half of Americans—live in a earthquake hazard zone. By participating in this initiative, you can help develop tools for communities, governments, and NGOs to better anticipate and react to these sudden yet devastating events.
- Flood & Storm Surge. Developers can use IBM Cloud technology to create data-driven methods to identify susceptible areas of water-related events such as floods and storm surges and better manage prevention and relief resources.
- Volcanoes. AI and analytical tools can help to better understand these phenomena and create predictive technology that mitigates such disasters.
- Extreme Weather. IBM Cloud tools can be used to analyze the weather trends and develop unique technology to aid victims and first-responders alike.
- Wildfires. Under this Call For Code global initiative, developers are asked to develop software solutions that help reduce wildfire risk, determine best methods for prevention and enforcement, and aid first-responders in evacuation and firefighting operations.
The Main Resources & Technology Areas For Building Applications
The Call For Code initiative comes up with a challenge that asks developers to take part into it and build exciting applications with tools tailored to the each of the Call for Code Challenge areas, as mentioned below:
- Build secure, resilient, traceable, and transparent supply networks with blockchain.
- Use AI and bots to improve real-time communications with natural language processing.
- Understand, analyze, and predict health and nutrition needs to improve services with data science.
- Improve logistics based on traffic and weather activity to reduce the number of people affected.
- Collect and analyze device sensor data to take corrective or preventative action automatically.
- Use machine learning, deep learning, and visual recognition to improve critical processes.
Get Help by Joining the Call For Code Events in Your Area
The Call For Code global initiative organizing the meet-ups with developers in different regions to reach as more developers as possible.
So, if you’re looking to join this developers’ community and need some help, the Call For Code events will be proven helpful as you’ll be going to meet their special developer advocates and technical leaders at events around the globe.
READ ALSO: Kids to Learn Coding by Playing Games Online
Join the Community, Accept Challenge & Win Prizes
It’s time to join the community! It’s time to do something greatest being a developer! It’s time to accept the Call For Code challenge, and of course the winner will be awarded.
The Call for Code Challenge for 2018 is a competition that asks you to outthink natural disasters and build the solutions that will significantly improve the current state of disaster preparedness in your community and around the world.
Winner will receive the Call for Code Global Award presented by a jury of eminent technologists at the Call for Code Award Event, a $200,000 USD cash prize, long-term open source project support from The Linux Foundation, venture capitalist introduction and pitch to turn your idea into a funded company and the opportunity to deploy your solution with an IBM Corporate Service Corps team.
Aren’t these all amazing? So, why to wait till now. Just visit the official website of Call For Code initiative and register for the challenge.