I ever write smartphone reviews and launch news of many smartphones and always told that which smartphone has which type of display! So, you would heard about many type of smartphone display such as IPS, Gorilla Glass, Retina Display, etc.
In this article I’ll tell you about each popular smartphone display and you’ll be able to figure out that which display will be best for you! So, after reading this article, whenever you read any review or mobile specs, you can find out that the relevant display of smartphone is suitable for you or not!
Different Types of Smartphone Display
So, without taking your more time, let me tell you about all the popular smartphone display and their features:
1. Gorilla Glass Display
Gorilla Glass is an unscratchable, unshatterable material used as a protective window for your mobile phone, PMP, or laptop display. It’s in 65 products already, and I can assure you that the very nice man from Corning is not faking it. Your intrepid reporter also gave this several tries with all his blogger strength, and couldn’t make a dent. I was, however, able to scratch the heck out of some polycarbonate.
Features of Gorilla Glass Display
- Gorilla Glass can save a smartphone screen from a little frictions.
- The glass is more durable, and fundamentally tougher and more damage resistant even before chemical strengthening.
- It can be used as a protective window for your mobile phone.
- The latest model is Gorilla Glass 3 and up to three times more damage resistant than Gorilla Glass 2.
2. IPS (In-Plane Switching) Display
It is a screen technology commonly used in LCD monitors. It was mainly designed to solve the limitations of TN Matrix LCDs in late 1980s. These limitations includes relatively high response time, strong viewing angle dependence and low-quality color reproduction.
Advantages of IPS Display
- IPS technology display consistent, accurate color from all viewing angles.
- Unlike TN LCDs, IPS display do not lighten or show tailing when touched.
- IPS display offer clear images and stable response time.
- IPS display can process high speed signals without data loss.
Disadvantages of IPS Display
- IPS display require up to 15% more power than TN displays.
- IPS displays are more expensive to produce than TN displays.
3. ClearBlack Display (CBD)
This display resist the barrier between phone screen and surface. It gives a better screen quality in the sun. CBD adds a reflection-blocking polarizer layer between the touch layer and the display panel. CBD displays blocks incoming light reflections and so perform better under direct sunlight.
4. Retina Display
Retina Display is developed by Apple for the screens having very high pixel density. Apple used this display in many of its products such as iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro etc.
The Retina display is used in the devices and monitors whose screen has roughly 300 or more pixels per inch (PPI) pixel density.
Apple was applied to register the term “Retina” as a trademark in regard to computers and mobile devices with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Canadian Intellectual Property Office, and in Jamaica. On November 27, 2012 the US Patent and Trademark office approved Apple’s application and “Retina” is now a registered trademark for computer equipment.
So, these are the popular smartphones as well as other devices display technologies that you only listened about but never knew deeply. I hope, you would found a best read in this article!