The number of mobile device users is steadily growing. By the end of 2021, revenue growth for mobile apps is expected to be greater relative to websites.
To meet these requirements, e-commerce companies must offer intuitive and accessible interfaces that make shopping from your phone quick and easy or risk being left behind.
However, many e-commerce websites are not optimized for mobile devices. Users are less likely to download a native app just to make a purchase. E-commerce companies need a digital store that has the best of both worlds.
This is where PWA (progressive web application) comes to the rescue.
The concept of PWA
PWA or Progressive Web Application is a technology that allows customers to install your website on a smartphone as an application.
Now you don’t need to develop a separate website and app for iOS. It is enough to have and maintain only the site.
We use PWA-based applications more often than it seems at first glance. The brands like Twitter, Tinder, Uber, Starbucks, Forbes, and AliExpress use PWA-based apps as the basis or in addition to the mobile app.
Benefits of a PWA-based App
Switching to PWA will require some development work. However, the use of this technology has its benefits associated with faster loading and SEO benefits, reduced data needs, and no app store requirements.
- Allows you to send Push notifications.
- Development and support are 70% cheaper than mobile apps.
- Savings on re-attracting customers. There are no costs for customer return tools (retargeting, remarketing).
- No need to place the app in the AppStore and Google Play. You can download it directly from your website.
- It works faster than the site.
- Works without internet.
- The PWA size of an application is usually no more than 1 MB. It’s less than a mobile app.
- The PWA app works with the following functions: geolocation, camera, microphone.
Disadvantages of Progressive Apps
For e-commerce companies, there are significant advantages to switching to a PWA. But there are still some disadvantages.
- The PWA app does not have the ability to send notifications to the iPhone, as the default browser in iOS is Safari. However, in iOS 14, Apple added a default browser selection feature. This means that if the user chooses not to use Safari as the default browser, notifications can also be sent to the iPhone.
- PWA apps do not support the Touch ID function and only work with the Bluetooth function.
Tasks Solved using a PWA-based Application
- Encourage repeat sales.
- To simplify the search for the company. Access to the company in 1 tap on the screen.
- Increase brand awareness. The company’s icon (logo) is always visible to the user.
- Increase the average transaction receipt by adding products via Push notifications.
- Stay in touch with the client. Send notifications to the customer that the product has arrived at the pick-up point. Or that the item will be delivered today.
- Save money on advertising. Now you don’t need to set up a catch-up ad with a new promotion. Just send a notification that your customers will definitely notice.
- Get rid of competition in search results. Your customers are accessed through an app that has no competitors, unlike search results.
Businesses Suitable for a PWA App
The PWA app is suitable for all businesses whose services customers use regularly. Let’s take a closer look at how you can use a PWA-based application.
- customers will be able to re-order the service in 1 click;
- you will be able to analyze the frequency of orders by each customer and send cleaning reminders in advance, increasing the frequency of purchases.
Restaurants, Cafes, Pizzerias, and Delivery Networks
- customers will be able to order products or book a table in 1 click;
- you will be able to encourage customers to order more by sending promo codes with discounts and promotions;
- you will be able to use loyalty cards using the app and QR codes.
- customers will be able to find you in 1 click and select the desired product without distractions. And if they put the product in the basket, but did not place an order, you can encourage them to buy. This is done with the help of notifications with a discount or gift.
- customers will be able to choose a product without the Internet. And when it appears, the data is automatically uploaded to you;
- notify the customer about promotions or changes in the order status.
- create a page where your courses will be available for your clients;
- you will be able to send notifications about the start of an online event if you hold classes, marathons, or webinars.
- your users will be able to find you in 1 click, which will increase the frequency of visits to your resource;
- users will not be distracted by other sites, which will increase engagement;
- users will be able to receive notifications about new publications on topics of interest to them;
- you will be able to earn additional profit by sending out advertisements, using Push notifications.
Barbershop and Beauty Sphere
- you can analyze the frequency of orders by each customer and send them reminders to visit your place in advance;
- add care products to your customers with push notifications.
Car Service Stations
- remind customers about oil changes or other periodic maintenance work;
- notify the customer about the repair status;
- thank your loyal customers with gifts;
- make additional sales of car care products with push notifications.
Services by Sharing Technology
- send notifications about the state of the vehicle (the car is booked) or about new promotions and discounts;
- thank your regular customers for gifts.
While native mobile applications continue to exist quietly, PWA can implement the ideal solution for companies that want to create a superior and easily accessible mobile tool for their customers.
PWA is an integration of the best features of two worlds: the full scope of native application functionality and the world wide web accessibility.