It can be very frustrating when your PST files get corrupted. For a file to be corrupted, it means that it is made unreliable due to errors or alterations. In such a scenario, you can lose important data and information as you won’t be able to access the contents of such files. Fortunately, you can repair corrupt Outlook PST files and restore their contents.
Causes of Outlook PST File Corruption
What might cause your Outlook PST file to corrupt? Here are a few factors:
- Virus: This is the major cause of corruption in Outlook files. Virus infection is common in computer technology and there are different ways via which your computer system can be infected. If your system is infected with a virus, PST files stored on it can also get infected. To avoid this, it is recommended to have an active anti-virus.
- Large file size: It is easy for large PST file sizes to get corrupted. This is usually encountered when it comes to saving. Saving very large PST files usually takes a bit more time and while the process is ongoing, any interruption can cause file corruption. Also, these files can get corrupt while trying to split or compress them to smaller sizes if you use the wrong tools.
- Storage errors: Sometimes, your hard disk or other storage devices might get damaged without your awareness. PST files stored in such storage locations are prone to get corrupt.
How to Repair MS Outlook PST Files?
Method 1: Repair Microsoft Outlook PST Manually
Follow the below steps to manually repair corrupted Outlook PST files with SCANPST:
Step 1: Locate the SCANPST.exe
- Open the Local Disk (C:)>Program Files>Open Microsoft Office.
- Open the Office folder (Office12, Office 14, Office 15, etc). Scroll to find the ScanPST file and open it. Here is how you can find the location of scanPST.exe as per your Microsoft Outlook version.
Step 2: Use ScanPST to Repair
- Launch the utility.
- Enter the name of the Outlook PST file you want to repair (You can browse to select the file from its location).
- Click on Start to run the scanning process.
- After the document is scanned and errors detected, click on repair to fix them (You should tick the box for backup to be on a save side).
- After repair, you get a notification is successful or not.
- If successful, click on OK and the file will be imported to Outlook.
Repairing Outlook PST files manually with ScanPST is easy and quick, but it does not work all the time. ScanPST might fail to fix very intense errors and so your file will still be corrupted. For this, we will be looking at another method of repairing Outlook PST files using an Outlook repair tool.
Method 2: Repair Outlook PST Files by Using Stellar Repair
Stellar Repair Outlook is a functional Outlook PST file recovery software. This software can be used to repair any corrupt PST file including those that could not be fixed manually with ScanPST. What the tool does is that it lets you recover data effortlessly no matter how the file was corrupted.
With Stellar’s Outlook PST Repair software, you can repair PST files that are severely corrupt. There is no size limit so you can upload files of any size for repair. Not only that, but the software also recovers all your emails, contacts, attachments, and more if any is contained in the PST file.
The software repairs Outlook PST files that have been encrypted or lock with a password. If perhaps you password-protect your file and you forget your password, the tool can help you unlock the file. It works for Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and all other older versions.
Download and Install
Download Stellar Repair for Outlook and install the program on your system. There is a free demo version available on official website to preview all the components of Outlook mailbox, after performing scan and repair. It helps to test and verify the extent of recovery before actually purchasing the licensed software.
Select PST file
Go to the program’s location and launch the software. Go to home menu, a dialogue window will appear, asking you to browse or find Outlook PST file in your drives, and then Click on “Repair” button. “Find” option is useful to have a look up of all PST files with names in the connected drives (including network drives).
Run Scan and Repair of Outlook PST File
Once you’ve selected the file(s) to repair, Click on the “Repair” icon to initiate the repair process.
Preview of Complete Mailbox Data as Free Demo
Once the repair is finished, the repaired PST file will be displayed for preview of all the repaired Outlook PST folder and internal mailbox items.
You can easily click and expand the folder names in left window panel of the software to verify or select the mail items such as inbox, sent items, notes etc. The recoverable permanently deleted emails, attachments, contacts are represented in red fonts in preview window, which you can include or exclude as per your requirement while saving the repaired data.
Save Repaired Outlook Mailbox Data file (.pst)
After going through the preview of repaired data, next step is to save the repaired PST file, by clicking the “Save repaired file” icon on top bar.
The software offers multiple saving formats which typically include PST, RTF, PDF, MSG, HTML or EML.
Also, you can save individual emails separately by a right click and following the dialoge messages to complete the saving process. The single email messages can be saved as MSG, HMTL, EML, PDF & RTF file formats.
Exit Software and Import Newly Saved PST File
After the completion of repair process, you can close the software. To import the PST file, launch your MS Outlook and follow the steps as per your Outlook version installed on system. Know more.
Using the tool is not difficult as the interface is all similar to Outlook app. You can repair and preview the mailbox for free but to save the mail items you would need to purchase the repair tool.There are different purchase prices on Stellar Repair and they are: Professional, Technician, Toolkit, starting with $99.
Though the prices have different features, any one of them will work in repairing corrupt PST files. With a high success rate, you can rely on the Stellar Repair for Outlook to fix your PST files.
PST files get corrupt for so many reasons. Whatever the reason, the file gets damaged and sometimes, they cannot be accessed. This can be a bad situation especially when the file contains some very important documents. You can use the ScanPST provided by Microsoft or widely used tool- ‘Stellar repair for Outlook’ to fix any of these corrupted data files.
After using the software personally, we found that the software repairs corrupt or damaged PST file efficiently and with 100% success rate. This Outlook PST File Repair software not only recovers all the mailbox items but restores deleted emails too. The interface is similar to that of MS Outlook and eases the procedure from finding the PST file, activating the software and saving the data in multiple formats. The software comes in various editions with more advanced features. So if you have been the facing PST file corruption, Stellar Repair for Outlook software is a trusted tool to go ahead with.