Recently, we all witnessed one of the biggest launches of this year, Instagram Threads. The Instagram parent company, Meta, launched Threads in July 2023. Without saying, the app is a direct rival of Twitter. So, to compare these two social media platforms, here we are with the title; Threads vs Twitter.
In this comparison of Threads and Twitter, we will talk about the main features of the Threads app, along with the similarities and differences between Threads and Twitter. So, let’s embark on this journey to know about the biggest battle between two social media giants.
The Main Features of Threads App
Threads is a microblogging social media platform that is integrated with Instagram. The app is very similar to Twitter, which has features to share texts, images, videos, and images. However, there are many other similarities and differences from Twitter that we will talk about further.
As mentioned earlier, the Threads app is integrated with Instagram, so users can create a profile on Threads from their Instagram account and start using the text-focused long conversational platform by Meta. This app is connected to Instagram in such a way that users can switch Threads profile from the Instagram profile itself, and import their Instagram bio and contact details to the Threads.
Whenever you activate a profile on Threads, you will have the option to follow all the accounts which you already follow on Instagram. Along with this, all your followers will get to know that you are on Threads now. Moreover, as the Thread profile is integrated with Instagram, you cannot permanently delete the Threads profile, you can only delete all your posts or can temporarily deactivate the profile. Nonetheless, the following are the main features of Threads.
- You can share text, images, videos, and links.
- You can follow other accounts on Threads.
- You can share your Threads post on the Instagram story, Instagram Feed, Twitter, and other messaging platforms.
- Threads profile can be switched from Instagram and vice Versa.
- You can control who can see and mention you in their Threads.
- A private profile feature is also available.
- You can mute accounts on Threads.
- Threads have a Take a Break feature that allows users to give reminders after a certain time.
Similarities Between Threads and Twitter
As mentioned earlier, Threads is a rival of Twitter, and using the Threads App, it can also be said that it is inspired and copied from Twitter to a great extent. So Threads has many such features which are the same as Twitter like posting, searching, and some others. Let’s explore these common features in Threads and Twitter.
- Both platforms are microblogging platforms.
- Threads and Twitter both don’t have an edit feature.
- Users can temporarily deactivate their Twitter and Threads accounts.
- Both platforms allow posting texts, photos, and videos.
- Threads and Twitter both allow reposting or re-tweet one another’s posts.
- Both platforms have a delete button.
What are the Differences Between Threads and Twitter?
Are all the features the same on both platforms? No, there are a lot of differences between Threads and Twitter. It’s like some features are not common on both platforms. And some of the features that are common have certain limits to use, like text limit, video duration limit, etc. Nonetheless, the following are the differences that will help you to understand how Threads is different from Twitter.
- Threads app accepts 500 characters, and Twitter 280 characters.
- Threads app doesn’t offer paid verification, Twitter offers to buy blue tick at the price of $8.
- There are no hashtags on Threads, Twitter uses hashtags to separate the content.
- On Threads, you can post a video of a 5-minute duration, but on Twitter, only 20 seconds videos are allowed to post.
- There is only one feed on Threads. And Twitter has various Feeds, For You, Trendings, News, Sports, and Entertainment.
- You cannot save drafts on Threads, but Twitter allows you to save the drafts.
- There are no ads on Threads so far. Twitter runs ads on it.
- Threads do not allow users to edit the photos. But, Twitter has basic photo editing features.
- Threads app doesn’t allow you to create any type of community on it. But Twitter has Spaces for it.
- Threads don’t have a messaging feature. Twitter allows you to message.
- Threads app allows you to set your profile to a private profile. But Twitter doesn’t.
- There is no dark theme on Threads. But Twitter allows you to switch to dark mode.
- Threads app doesn’t have a multiple profile switching feature, but Twitter has.
- Threads app doesn’t show the insights of posts, but Twitter shows the insights of posts.
Apart from these differences, one more major difference we can notice is about privacy. We all know how careless Meta is in keeping the privacy of users’ data. And for that, we can trust Twitter in keeping users’ privacy as compared to Meta.
Will Threads Beat Twitter?
Despite the fact that Threads is the direct and true rival of Twitter and already gained around 1 Billion users across the globe, it will take time to beat Twitter. And the reason is, there are many features that Threads is lacking, like no hashtags, no multiple feeds, or some other features which are available on Twitter.
Apart from that, one more reason that could be the reason is the credibility of Threads. No doubt, Threads will gain users but it will lack credibility. As we all know, Twitter is the easiest and most legitimate way where many government and non-government agencies provide support. It is because these agencies are more active on Twitter and reply to take action as soon as possible. So the fact of how long Threads manages to maintain such credibility among users will be an important aspect of the Threads vs Twitter battle.