In the world of e-commerce, the term and use of “exit intent” technology has gained popularity over the recent years. Technology is basically used to track the movement of the user within a website and figure out whether he or she is about to close it.
A special offer or a form could be displayed to the user at that particular moment, so that the user finally opts to stay within the website for an additional time. This is known as traffic conversion that is, converting a user who is showing signs of leaving the site to a potential re-engaged customer.
Exit intent: A Second Chance To Gain Conversion
Not getting enough conversion despite ranking well in Google is one of the main problems that most of the webmasters face. Why? Probably, because they end up wasting a lot of their traffic.
A simple tool called Google Analytics can be easily used to keep a watch on it. Getting high traffic and low conversion after ranking well in Google could be a serious problem for your website. Therefore, it is important not to focus just on gaining traffic. Paying attention to gaining more conversion is critical too.
Think that you have adopted all measures to boost the conversion rate. Your website is well-optimized but still there is no conversion. What could be the problem?
May be the visitor is a little confused about the website or the products and services that you are offering. There will be no conversion if the price is too expensive. The other reason may be a non-mobile friendly website. There are way too many offers or advertisements and the page loads slowly. All of these reasons drive the customer away.
In such a scenario, exit intent technology serves as a boon for the conversion rates. If you have not applied exit-intent technology on your website, it simply means that a disinterested or dissatisfied visitor would just go away without knowing the special offers, making a purchase or signing up for future emails.
Exit-intent popup can engage a visitor for the very last time. Unfortunately, exit-intent technology comes into play when the previous attempt to engage the customer has already failed. But, why miss a chance to bring back a potential customer?
There are chances that the customer might decide to return back in the future. But, what are you doing to ensure that the user does come back? Yes, you’re right! Use of exit-intent technology lets you ensure that and gives a second chance to convert the fleeing prospects of the customer.
How To Use Exit Intent Effectively?
There are different effective ways to use the exit-intent technology. Some of the common and effective ways to use this technology to improve the conversion sites for your website include:
- Escalating urgency: This involves tapping the physiology of the visitor wherein he fears that closing the site would make him lose the special offer, limited period subscription or any other opportunity. This type of opt in asks the user to get special rates or services, an offer which would expire after so and so number of days.
- Offers: Add an offer in case the visitor is trying to exit. This will help increase the subscription and improve conversion rates if the offer is interesting and attractive enough for the user.
- Quiz: This technique helps visitors stay on the website and wait. It helps them understand the kind of audience that the website caters to.
- Segmented information: Personalize the exit-intent popups according to the needs of the different segments of people that visit the website. Include a different exit-intent popups for each page on the website.
- Downloads: Just when the visitor is about to leave the site, show an exit-intent popup that asks the user to download a free file or a .pdf. Chances are that he will get into your email subscription list.
- Social sharing: Adding a social sharing option to share the content over different social medial platforms helps as well.
- Free add-on: Suppose a visitor has made a purchase. Offer that visitor a free add on in the form of a tutorial video or similar instructions that will allow him to use the product. It helps increase the frequency of visits and thus facilitates more purchases.
- Newsletters: You can consider providing newsletters according to the different pages within the website to target a different set of audiences. You can selectively try to target the users who love to spend time reading the posts.
- Videos: Adding a video with loads of useful information as an exit-intent pop up helps too. It reduces the bounce rate and hooks the user to your email list.
Tools That Can Help You with Exit Intent
There are several tools that can help apply the exit-intent strategy to improve the conversion rates. Some of these tools are explained below:
- OptinMonster: It is a kind of a WordPress plugin that offers 8 different types of forms, A/B testing and page level targeting. The Pro version of this plugin can be used with a monthly payment of $29. The pop ups are well-timed, supports large number of email services and offers one-click integration. The exit-intent technology can be effectively used to build an email list, drive traffic and more.
- ConvertPlug: This innovative OptinMonster alternative offers 12 display position along with infobar, slideins and modal popup with A/B testing. Within $21 nominal charges, you can get one-click exit intent, get the rights to customize the templates, perform device detection and integrate it with endless number of email marketing software.ConvertPlug is a perfect tool to help you reduce the bounce rate of your website by building email lists, promote videos and increase social shares that will eventually help you rank higher in search engines.
- PopUp Domination: This supports only a single type of pop up form. The package costs around $99 per month for the Pro version and offers exit intent and click to display feature. With a combination of wide range of popups and the exit-intent technology, PopUp Domination proves to be an effective tool to engage users before they actually leave your site.
A number of websites have adopted the exit-intent technology in the past few years to improve their conversion rates. Despite the problems and the confusion the visitors have to go through, the technology seems promising when it comes to lead generation.
Knowing about the traffic you get and kind of behavior helps improve the conversion rates through exit-intent technology. It is important to merge an exit-intent technology with the use of proper headlines, attractive images, color wheel and website style to make it all a success.
By making an effective use of the exit-intent technology, you can also join the bandwagon of other websites like Gr8fires.co.uk and Cloudways.
For example, the use of exit-intent technology made Gr8fires.co.uk increase their monthly sales lead by a whopping 300 per cent. In addition, the sales increased by 48.54 percent for users who signed up on the website. Cloudways experienced a 6% rise in Conversions when exit-intent was implemented for just 15 minutes.
- OptinMonster’s FREE Alternative For Lightbox Popups
- 5 Best WordPress Plugins for Professional Affiliate Marketers
IMPORTANT: Take Away!
After all that I had to say about Exit Intent, there are a few things I would like to remind you while you go.
- Track user Behavior
- Create Relevant offers and popups
- Use Simple Content. It converts well
- Match with the website look and feel
- Write awesome Headlines and use Attractive images
- Referral Detection lets you target specific set of users.
After all, using the Exit-intent to re-engage users can be considered to be a last chance to hold them back. Use it well!